The Diablo Canyon Independent Safety Committee (DCISC) is a three-person Committee charged with reviewing and making recommendations concerning the safety of operations at Pacific Gas and Electric Company“s (PG&E) Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant (DCPP).
The Diablo Canyon Independent Safety Committee is interested in receiving expressions of interest, together with statements of qualifications, from persons interested in a temporary assignment to serve as a technical consultant, on an ad hoc basis, to assist the Committee in the identification of decommissioning-related issues. A letter or email from interested persons should be directed as soon as possible to the Office of the DCISC Legal Counsel, 857 Cass Street, Suite D, Monterey, CA 93940 and/or to email@example.com. The next meeting of the DCISC is scheduled to be held on October 24–24, 2018, and this matter will be on the agenda for consideration.
The Committee was created by the State of California's Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and held its first meeting in May 1990.
The Diablo Canyon Power Plant is located on a 750-acre site along the central California coastline in San Luis Obispo County.
Diablo Canyon provides electricity for more than two million northern and central Californians from operation of its two 1,100 megawatt Westinghouse 4-loop pressurized water reactors fueled by uranium dioxide. Diablo Canyon began commercial operation in 1985 and is licensed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to continue operating Unit-1 until 2024 and Unit-2 until 2025.
The Committee holds public meetings and plant tours, conducts inspections and publishes an annual report on the safety of Diablo Canyon, assisted by technical consultants and legal counsel.
Review of Seismic Safety Issues
- NRC Staff Assessment of DCPP’s Post Fukushima Seismic Hazard Reevaluations – December 21, 2016 (PDF)
- Decision of NRC Director of Nuclear Reactor Regulation re Petition concerning DCPP Operational Safety and Safe Shut Down due to Earthquake – April 21, 2017 (PDF)
Review of Tsunami Hazard and Risk at DCPP and Its Environs
- May 14, 2015 Public Meeting Video
- Dr. R. T. Sewell Tsunami Hazard Presentation: Power Point Slides June 21, 2016 (PDF)
- Dr. R.T. Sewell Letter of April 4, 2017: Questions on Tsunami Risk Presentation (PDF)
Evaluations of Safety Issues for Alternate Cooling Technologies or Modification to DCPP Once-Through Cooling System
- September 5, 2013, Evaluation of Bechtel Final Technologies Assessment (PDF)
- October 17, 2014, Preliminary Evaluation of Addendum to Bechtel Final Technologies Assessment (PDF)
Information on CA Public Utilities Commission Decision D.18-01-022 to Retire Diablo Canyon Power Plant (DCPP) at the Expiration of the Current Operating Licenses
- DCISC Comments on Senator Monning’s CA Senate Bill 1090 (PDF)
- Decision Approving Retirement of Diablo Canyon Power Plant (PDF)
- Summary of PG&E’s Joint Proposal to Retire Diablo Canyon Power Plant (DCPP) at Expiration of the Current Operating Licenses
- The Joint Proposal Overview (PDF)
- The Application of PG&E for Approval of the Retirement of Diablo Canyon Power Plant (PDF)
- Assigned Commissioner and ALJ’s Scoping Memo & Ruling (PDF)
- Joint Parties Motion for Approval of Community Impacts Settlement